Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chowder and Wine

"How about a cup of chowder and a glass of wine?" Mistah asked me on Sunday -- the first and only day above freezing in these parts in the last 12,000 years.

"Yes, please!"

Ah yes.

Wait, Mistah, that photo's all spoon . . .

That's better.

When Mistah suggested that fateful cup of chowder and glass of wine, standing together on our street, trying to decide where to go, he said, "How about Red 36?" And I said, "I'll be right back."

I had a gift card, you see, from my friend Lisa S.

Everyone should have a friend like my friend Lisa S.

She's smart, she's funny, she's beautiful, she loves New London, she loves me, she and Mistah love eachother, and perhaps most importantly of all, she's got the most precisely-calibrated bullshit meter known to humankind.

Plus, she's generous.

Over the summer I mentioned to our darling girl that I loved a certain specific local restaurant, and what did Lisa S. do?  What did she do? She went there and got me a gift card for my birthday.

An over-the-top, overly-generous giftcard.

Which we availed ourselves of on Sunday.

It doesn't look quite the same in the winter as it does in the magical days of summer . . .

. . .  but on a bright sunny winter day, the views are beautiful . . .

. . . as was Mistah's coconut shrimp . . .

. . . as were our fish tacos . . .

. . . as was the wine.

It's a good, good place, and great for taking photos in the strong winter light . . .

. . . taking photos of eachother in the strong winter light . . .

It was a great day . . .

. . . we had a wonderful time . . .

. . . and we thank you, Lisa S., from the grateful and satisfied bottoms of our chowder- and wine-filled hearts.

xoxox

3 comments:

Dawnie said...

Your warm smiles are much appreciated on a day on which I can't seem to get warm.

And I can hear Lisa's BS meter: "Stop!" "NO way."

Problem is, I want to drink white wine and eat bacon. xoxo

Beth said...

Look at yas! You'd never know it was day 12,001 of this terrible winter. Gorgeous sunny faces!

And the food? Well let's just say I put Red 36 on my ever-growing must-do-while-in-New London list.

xoxo,
beth

LIsa S said...

Oh my. I love this post very, very much--no bullshit anywhere in sight. So glad you enjoyed your meal, view, time.