Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bonus days

So for the next three weeks of school, starting today, there are a total of two full days of instruction at my girls K-8 school. I am not making this shit up. Today was a holiday - school closed. They have a half day every Wednesday, which, honestly, I've never understood, then there is an extra half day this week on Thursday (and one extra each month for 5 months this year). So, Tuesday and Friday are full days of school this week.

Next week, e.v.e.r.y single day is a half day. All five; due to parent teacher conferences. Somehow that seems excessive to me, especially in middle school, where they only ask for conferences if your child has a D or F in a class. And although *I* may have to attend one of these, many parents do not.

The week after that is Thanksgiving break. Yep - school is out all week. Remember when Thanksgiving break was a 4-day weekend?

Remember when we went to school for 5 full days each and every week, back in the olden days? No bullshit half day once a week?

I mean, don't get me wrong, a week off at Thanksgiving? Yes, please. Really, it does sound wonderful, the only problem is most adults/parents have JOBS. Jobs that their employers expect them to show up for, even if their kids are on holiday.

Luckily for me, I'm able to work from home when need be. (And my mom lives here and helps me out a ton!) It's a blessing to be able to work remotely, it really is. I'm thankful, and how nice not to have to rush out the door in the morning on these numerous bonus days. But c'mon, have you tried to work when you have three kids at home all day? It's, um, not really possible. I mean, you can get in a few repeatedly interrupted hours, yes, but all day? And more than 45 minutes without an interruption? Not in this household.

However, like everything in life, there's a flip side. The pro to the con. The ever increasing lost hours of instruction might annoy the holy hell out of me, but bonus time with my kids is a treat (especially if I don't get fired for my questionable productivity during said days).

Take today for instance, my youngest and oldest told me that I was NOT to go downstairs (hello, I'm sitting here in front of my computer, you downstairs without me is the whole point), and proceeded to be very quite and secretive. My middle girl was playing on our newly inherited ipad (thanks again, mom), so, she was completely absorbed as well.

Around about 45 minutes later, I was asked to go downstairs.

And really, what I walked into? Adorable.

Uh huh, streamers, for me! For us! For our very fancy surprise luncheon.

A vegetarian luncheon, at that! With fancy glass ware.

And fresh flowers

And GLITTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

And live music!

Okay, so they're not conjugating verbs in Spanish or dividing fractions or dissecting cow eyes, but my girls are getting creative, and kissing my ass, both of which I really appreciate. And really, if imagination and flattery aren't two worthwhile life skills, tell me what are.

Oh, and P.S., remember when I was wishing for boys? Let's pretend that never happened.

6 comments:

Pat said...

That is so sweet! They really are wonderful girls.
Love, Nonnie

Mom C said...

Love your girls Beth - Girls Rule xo Mom C

ariel said...

They must have learned that creativity from somewhere! Wonder from who? You need to hire them out! Good for u!
Love, Ariel

Me, You, or Ellie said...

How sweet! And what a delicious-looking luncheon! What's in the package on the side of the plates, though? Chopsticks? Moist towelettes? Or that old-fashioned sugar-in-a-tube candy from my youth?

So! What's on the schedule for tomorrow??!

Ellie

Beth said...

Squeeze yogurt, strawberry, which I did not partake in. But it's the thought that counts, right? ;)

b

Me, You, or Ellie said...

that is SO awesome, I love those girls. My favorite thing has got to be the live musician. they are good girls, Beth. swoon

xo
Jacquie