Friday, September 13, 2013

I am conscientious, goddammit!

Life is so amusing, all star-gazing and buzzing bees at times, but always ready to give you the smack down too.

I was feeling pretty good about my work performance when I left the office yesterday. I even told my mom last night that I felt "accomplished." I very calmly worked my way through a 57-ish-step process to get the authors paid using various databases and programs. I really have no business being in Quick Books, or anywhere remotely near numbers and line items, so when I managed to get everything out yesterday with an hour to spare in my work day, I gave myself a mental pat on the proverbial back.

PREMATURE!

The second email I read this morning upon my arrival to work was from our Editor-in-Chief. You know, the big cheese. The guy we need to keep happy and provide total administrative support for. He had a conference call scheduled with one of our Sr Associate Editors this morning. But guess what? I totally and completely and utterly and wholly forgot. I did not send him a reminder. I did not send him the accompanying documentation that he needed. I did not do a goddamn thing. He ended up canceling before I even had a chance to reply to him. (Damn that time difference sometimes! I could have pulled it off if I were in New London!)

I'm trying to shake it off, I mean, it was an honest mistake. I didn't fuck up his day and the day of the other Sr Associate Editor on purpose. And I am doing my own job plus the job of another woman, who is currently out on maternity leave, and this was a task she would normally attend to, but still. Major fuck up!

I hate when this type of shit happens. I remember things. I am on top of things. I am conscientious, goddammit!! Wtf happened?

I simply forgot, I get it. I get that the event is unfortunate but no real crisis. I get that I shouldn't let it ruin my day. But it does make me wonder what else is falling off. What else is there that I should be doing, but I have completely forgotten about?

But, I'm moving on. I'm rationalizing. I'm making allowances for my own poor addled brain. I mean, it's better to miss an important reminder email at work that to forget your child at daycare, right?

Thank god, Jacquie is there if I do though!

4 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

You're totally winning, screw them. And not only is your daughter safe here with me forever, she's happily in her jammies because you remembered! A certain other friend of ours had to return home for a wardrobe change as a result of major morning dissatisfaction.

hang in there, baby.can't wait til Sunday! I think a westy beach party is in order.

xo
Jacquie

Star gazing in Central PA said...

Don't tell me that the shit all over my house that actually has a place to go, should actually be in those places...because that would make me feel like i'm letting things "fall off" (as you so eloquently put it)
Let it go...it's the weekend :)
And it is Friday the 13th!

Pat said...

Beth:
Welcome to my world.
Love, mom
Jackie:
I am in, if grannies are allowed (I will even let you use my boogie board).
Live, Pat

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, screw those dag-um Senior Editors. They *wish* they were half as awesome as you.

Sorry though. It sucks to screw up. And having nobody else to blame? Whoo-eeeee.

Well, *I* think you're awesome, that's got to count for something.

(And next time I'll cover for you, from New London.)

xoxoxEllie