Wednesday, February 13, 2013

lost



I did not want to be right. Although it was frustrating to be so casually dismissed when I offered guidelines and enforced rules, I definitely did not want her to learn this lesson the hard way. She refrained from rolling her eyes when I could see her, but I could tell by her expression that my words were as affecting as the adult voices from Peanuts cartoons when I told her not to bring the ipod touch to school, and not to put it in her back pocket. She bought it with her own money, accumulated from birthday and holiday gifts.  The purchase cleaned her out, my little saver has no more money saved.  

It’s hard to resist running over to the school and physically going to all of her classes to look. It’s hard to put my faith in a community of middle school kids, one of whom is having the best day of his or her life. It’s hard to comfort her without being really pissed at her for letting this happen. It’s hard to be right.
You’d think my boy would be the one to lose his stuff, he who can’t ever find two socks.  He’s never been the one in hysterics over the location of an electronic device.  His phone and his ipod have remained firmly entrenched in his back pocket for years without incident. 

My girl bought this ipod less than a month ago, and *poof*

I’m sure it’s due to the fact that her pants don’t sag, her body is in motion, and she has no time for details. Girlfriend is on the move, she did not notice her empty back pocket until the very end of the day, probably because math got boring. She is soooooo sad. We  posted a notice on the community facebook page and she made some signs to hang up today. She is offering a $20 reward for its safe return.

I guess we will soon find out if the lesson will be good things happen to good people; someone must have needed it more than you did; or karma will soon kick that asshole squarely in the butt. I'm just so pissed that she didn't listen to me about taking care of it.

I was feeling very unhappy about this yesterday. It's just not fair, she's such a good kid. Why did she bring it to school? Why didn't she at least put it in her backpack? Who took it and is going to pretend it's theirs? Don't their stupid parents see that there's a new expensive toy in the house? Jerks. I hate everyone.

I called her from work late in the day, just to say that I was sorry this had happened. She sighed. "It's not like life or death though, mom. It's just an ipod. I have lots of other stuff. I'll save more money."

I'm so glad there is at least one mature, grounded person in our family. I'm listening to her.

8 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, poor little C-Dawg.

Girlfriend *is* on the move, but is also so calm and serene though this disaster.

So sorry for her. So sorry for you for being right.

Sigh

Ellie

Lisa S said...

If you have iCloud set up you can use "find my iphone" (works for ipods, too) to locate it on a map. Then go to the house of the kid who is playing with it and grab it out of his dirty paws.

MB said...

Ach, poor little Ms. C. Love her awesome attitude, though. Hope it shows up. xo

Beth said...

Wow, Lisa is the woman with the plan!

I've been right too. It does not feel good. Both times I was right, both times with Merrell, it has involved a heartfelt/stern warning NOT to take you shiny new ipod(s) on a trip. I know, I know, you want/NEED it for the plane and/or car ride, but baby girl, it's not likley to come home. At least not without a beyond-help cracked screen.

Oh I know, I know, those can be replaced for $50 bucks, but that adventure didn't have a happy ending either.

Glad your girl is who she is. She's got lots of other stuff ;) And good karma, that ipod just may turn up.

xoxo,
Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Yes, Lisa's plan would be great if I had allowed my girl to enable location services. *That* she listened to, since she was using the ipod for some game based messaging apps, I did not want her location to be accessible by Chester the Molester. My fingers are crossed that someone will do the right thing today and turn it in. My girl continues to be quite zen about it, she said she doesn't mind so much about the money, she's just really disappointed in herself.

J

Lisa S said...

If (when?) you get it back, you can turn location services off for everything except "find my ipod." Good luck!

Bree at Clarity Defined said...

I'm impressed with your girl's response, but so so sorry for her. I hope someone turns it over.

Mom said...

She's an awesome girl, I'm praying she gets it back. love, mom