Monday, January 14, 2013

Mixology Monday: Eve's Black Heart

What a name, huh? Eve's black heart. It actually doesn't sit well with me, I mean, really? Once again it's the woman's fault? But I'll let that go and focus on the dark juiciness of the name.

According to Recipes.com, Eve's Black Heart is, "Similar to a Black Velvet, which is made with Guinness and Champagne, this beer cocktail has a double hit of apples from both hard cider and apple brandy. Hence, the name, derived from Eve's penchant for the forbidden fruit."

Here are the ingredients you need:



Ingredients
  • 8 fluid ounces (1 cup) dry hard cider, chilled
  • 1  14.9-fluid-ounce can Guinness draught, chilled
  • 1 fluid ounce (2 Tbs.) Calvados

I went with the local Julian Hard Cider, although I'm not completely sure it was dry, but it was the driest of their options. Then Guinness in cans, so it will foam, thanks to that revolutionary and very nifty widget inside. (And yes, that IS the technical term! Google it yourself if you don't trust me.) Bev Mo only had a mini of the Calvados,  so I went with that, but in retrospect, I'm glad. It's plain gross, at least by itself.

Frosted mugs. Duh.

Pour in spiked apples.

Open can of Guinness and let the floating widget do its work (which is, if you are interested, "creating a nucleation point, allowing the CO2 to be released from the liquid which comes into contact with it, thus assisting in maintaining head on the beer.")

Slowly pour the now foamy Guinness over an upside down tablespoon. Steady.

Add heaping tablespoon of Calvados to each glass.

And viola! Creamy, heady Eve's desire.

Cheers!

Only thing left to do is move to fireside local and enjoy. Ahh.

Unless you're my mom,then you'll add ice first. (Thanks for your assistance with photos and production, mom ;)

Recipe.com info:
Ingredients
  • 8 fluid ounces
    (1 cup) dry hard cider (such as Crispin brut or Farnum Hill semi-dry), chilled
  • 1
    14.9-fluid-ounce can Guinness draught, chilled
  • 1 fluid ounce
    (2 Tbs.) Calvados
    Divide the cider between two chilled pint glasses. To float the Guinness on top of the cider, pop the tab on the can, let it foam up, and then pour the beer slowly over the rounded back of a tablespoon measure held over each glass, stopping when almost full. Gently pour 1 tablespoon of the Calvados on top of each drink. Serve. 

6 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I love reading about and thinking about drinks first thing in the morning. It's so . . . optimistic!

Mistah quite literally just said to me, "We need to find new drinks." Voila.

I'm a Guinness lover and so are lots of my customers -- I pour pints of the gorgeous stuff, and of Black and Tans (Guinness floated on Bass Ale) all the live-long day.

We (erroneously?) call Guinness floated on Magner's Hard Cider (from Ireland) a Black Velvet. I'm *so* curious to try *your* definition of a Black Velvet. Guinness and champagne?? Two of my favorite beverages in the world? Swoon.

Love it, Beth! And love your romantic evening with your mom.

xxxEllie

Pat said...

We were chaperoned by The wee one.
Thanks for sharing all with me, Beth.
Love, Mom

ariel said...

I knew who was blogging when u said mom adding ice first! And I recognized the fireplace! So glad u both get to have such good times together!
Hugs...Ariel

Beth said...

Too bad the drink wasn't a bit better. Don't get me wrong, I drank it. And liked it. But I would give it a B, and I think my mom would only give it a C-.

My advice is go heavy on the cider.

Beth

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wow, that sounds repulsive! What made you want to try it? Your candy cane crusted martini was a winner though, can't wait to see what's next. Ahem. I am available for mixology sessions.

xoxo

Jacquie

ariel said...

Wish I was closer....I'd be willing to be an experimenter!