Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Prepping

I know Thanksgiving is yesterday's news -- actually, last week's news -- but I still feel the need to share because the prepping of side dishes around these parts was momentous for two reasons:

1. Mistah did the cooking.

2. I did the photo taking.

Mistah is an awesome cook but I am a terrible photographer so please keep your "that's a photo of what?" comments to yourself.

Mistah was slated to bring two dishes to my Mom's: his World-Famous Garlic Gorgonzola Smashed Red Potatoes, and his World-Famous Turnips.

I know: the World is a big place, and to have worldwide fame is quite a feat. What can I tell you? The Mistah is a talented, yet modest man.

Okay, Step One: chop onions then put them in the food processor for finer dicing.

Actually, wait, that's not true. That's Step Two. Step One, as I've mentioned before, is to do the Jacques Pépin and pour oneself a glass of wine before doing anything in the kitchen.

Step One accomplished. Nicely done, Mistah.

And now we can get back to those diced onions and garlic . . .

. . . and red potatoes . . .

. . . and that all-important, put-a-smile-on-your-face ingredient, gorgonzola.

Yum.

The turnips are a little less dramatic, but just as delish.

Potatoes? Cooking nicely.

Turnips? Ditto.

Dinner during the enterprise? Chicken quesadillas . . .

. . . and leftie rice-and-asparagus with black beans, which yes is weird, but is what we had in the fridge.

A good photographer would have taken lots of shots of of Mistah draining the turnips and smashing the red potatoes and stirring the garlicky love and using every pot and pan and utensil in the house but:

1. I'm not a good photographer, and

2. It was all so entertaining I mostly sat on a stool in the corner drinking chardonnay, watching in awe.

I was on pots-and-pans duty, however, which is not-for-nothing because have I mentioned? Mistah uses every pot and and pan and utensil in the house.

And then . . . voilà!

Time to pack up the fabulousness and hit the road . . .

. . . making sure to bring a few of our friends along.

6 comments:

MB said...

Those potatoes w/gorgonzola were SO delicious! Great job taking photos, El! xo

Beth said...

Wow, that is a lot of friends! And gorganzola. Wish I had some lefty potatoes right now.

And I agree with MB - great job with the photos, E. (Welcome to Jacquie's and my world ;)

xoxo,
Beth

Ellen said...

hedhoulMistah is a keeper, and you are a great photographer and storyteller.

Ellen said...

It was supposed to say. "Mistah is a keeper, and you are a great photographer and storyteller.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

lol, mom. Please remove the covers so I can see! I love the meester, but being a fan of neither gorgonzola nor turnips does not make him a popular chef in my world.

I do enjoy wine, though.

xo
Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Jacquie, that was actually my friend Ellen, not my mom Ellen.

I know it's hard to keep us all apart since we Ellens rule the world.

xxxx
Ellie, er, Ellen