Thursday, August 23, 2012

Extreme

Like all of us, there are many words that could be used to describe me: frugal, resourceful, conscientious, sensitive, dependable, fun-loving, cranky, etc. But one word that really doesn't hit the mark is "outdoorsy." If that's even a word. But you know what I mean, right? Those amazing women (or men) who run 50 miles on uphill trails, engage in 24-hour runs, and bike up crazy mountains? Our very own guest blogger Julie is outdoorsy, as are my sister-in-laws Tiffany and Fon. But me? No, not so much. Me, well....



And that's okay.

So when my sister-in-law informed me that we'd all be going to the Flagstaff Extreme Adventure Course on our last visit, well, I was a tad bit anxious. Suspended bridges, swings, slides, nets, and ziplines and 40 - 60 feet in the air? Um, no thank you.

But I knew I had to suck it up and partake in the family joy.

I was kind of hoping that my sister in law would send me some photos from the outing. I know she took quite a few. (But hey, if I really wanted some photos, I should have taken some myself!) But since she didn't, I've taken some shots right from the Flagstaff Extreme website. And for some reason they are teeny tiny. But they will have to do.


No big deal, right? Just don't look DOWN!



This was the worst of the worse for me. Just grab on and go. SHIT, are you kidding me?


Another least favorite section. These things swing like a mofo, but hey, you gotta move on to the next one to make it across.


Holy crap! Really?

The place was actually very cool, with a small practice course that everyone has to complete before they can start, then there is a kids' course, and a four-level adult course.

GREEN = Minimum Elevation/Minimum Skill
BLUE = Medium Elevation/Medium Skill
RED = Advanced Elevation/Advanced Skill

BLACK = Advanced Elevation/Advanced Skill


I really did well on the practice course :-) And level one (green) was no biggie either. But the blue course started to get a bit dicey --  that's where they throw in that dang rope above. And it starts to get pretty high. I didn't realize that heights make me nervous, but they do.

I did not attempt the red or black course. Quite a few of my in-laws completed the red course, but only two went for the black course.

And although it was not an activity I would have chosen, it was fun, and we all felt good about ourselves afterwards. Plus, we went straight to a Mexican restaurant afterwards. Now that Bohemia was one that I certainly earned.

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh you are such an intrepid outdoorsy woman, Beth. Who you tryin' to kid?

I love the teeny tiny photos, but I especially love that *first* photo. I'm as outdoorsy as the rest of them (well, except for Julie), but man, do I love my deck.

Congrats!

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wow, Beth! I'm so impressed, and a little jealous. I love/hate that kind of thing. Hope to see you soon, girlfriend!!

xo

Jacquie