Tuesday, January 11, 2011

walking on the moon

You know all about the adventures of Quito Girl, but have we ever told you that one of her many talents is the Moon Walk? She is a dancing fool and a pop music fangirl, and everyone knows that when you mix those together, you make like MJ and you glide.

On Christmas Eve, our girl was giving lessons:  




Some people tried so very earnestly to learn this smooooth moooove:




Others are just unteachable:


Some people were dogged, practicing all night long. Poor thing:

(psst: Ellie really thinks she can do it, just play along)

You can hardly tell her apart from Michael!
Flash forward a few days, to the tragically lonely time when Michael's kindred spirits had left for points South and East. The few remaining peeps piled into Jane's newly returned minivan for a sojourn out into The Day.

Seatbelts? I got your seatbelts right heeeeah. My girl didn't even have a seat!

It was a little crowded. There were ten of us. Plus one dog.

Good thing we like each other.
Jane took us to the lovely campus of Northwestern University. We spilled out of the van like so many clowns. One group foraged up ahead,

Another brought up the rear


Then we all came together for a real moonwalk,


right up to the edge of the planet









Okay, I get why Mark Dowd kept calling me "eggplant head"


They can dress us up, but the footwear is a dead giveaway that some of these people are from California

After this great adventure, Jane dropped Mar and Mark at the world's most adorable hardware store for a few supplies. Bill and I joined them, thinking that the four of us could have a quick pint somewhere before our last supper with the gang later that night. Turns out that the only establishments on that great downtown street were BYOB, and we were woefully without any Bs to B. I used my trusty GPS to search the 'hood for a watering hole, and it was less than a mile to this corner:

It wasn't the first time I had turned up thirsty on that particular corner...

But that is a story for another day.  Right, Ellie?

7 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Ha! Right you are.

I love those moon-like photos of that giant lake (they don't call 'em the Great Lakes for nothin'...)

And I so totally can Moonwalk. Or as Julie calls it, Moondance.

And speaking of whom, okay, even if I'm not quite yet the best moonwalker on the planet -- Quito Girl, naturally, is -- at least I know moonwalking does not including kicking.

Love.

Ellie

practicing my moonwalk in PA said...

I'm so glad that when you got to the edge of the planet..someone had their purse! too funny :)

I'm in a knitting faze right now, so I may have to send you a cool hat that does not remind anyone of an eggplant.

Lisa S said...

I can't get past the first few pictures of that gorgeous kitchen.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, Lisa, it's even better in person. It is *awesome*.

Ellie

MB said...

Love all the photos, Jacq! I'm so sorry I missed Col's moonwalk instruction on Christmas Eve, but I loved our sojourn to Lake Michigan on that snowy day. And having beers at Ubaa afterwards. And you did not look like an eggplant head! xoxo

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Well maybe just a little bit, Jacquie. lol.

The kitchen, is, gorgeous! Every inch of that house we've seen this last week or so via photo has been amazing. (I am patiently awaiting my invitation. [And I even have a very cool hat to wear if it is winter time invitation.])

But also gorgeous is that photo of MB! You really know how to rock the cold winter wear, Mary Beth!!

And as for moonwalking, I can hardly wait to see Ellie's perfect performance.

xo,
Beth

Anonymous said...

love all the kitchen love! We love it, too.

BTW, Jacqueline Kim, my car is NOT a minivan. If it had been, mind you, we would have had two more seats to smoosh the peeps in!

JPCH