Saturday, November 13, 2010

Weekend 3-Way: Weirdly Awesome

When my Dad died, my family received a lot of food from friends. As reported.

The thing about food is it not only necessary to live -- like water and sleep and shelter . . . yaaawwwwnnnn . . . but it's also really good.

I love food. I'm committed to food. I love to eat it, I love to make it, I love to smell it, I love to be around it, and I love to create events focused upon it.

What I don't love is dessert. I'm tempted by a great many things in this crazy ol' life of ours, but dessert is not one of them.

That said, after my Dad died, Mrs. Brown brought over a dessert her daughter -- and my old childhood friend, Martha Brown -- made. Monkey Bread. Who knew there was such a thing? I faced it as I faced every dessert I ever faced: "Eh." But then we ate it. With our fingers. And the combo of the summer night air, my peeps around me, the giant cloud of Dad's death over us, and the delicious meal we just ate, made me just absolutely love that monkey bread. Entirely. I therefore declared:

"This is weirdly awesome."

Which Jacquie's kids, naturally, still repeat.

When I looked at my lovely co-bloggers' contribution to this weekend's 3-way photo project, all I could think about was how Weirdly Awesome their choices were.

Let's have a look, shall we?

Clouds over our New London house. Weirdly Awesome.

Beth's rocks. Weirdly Awesome.

Jacquie's travels to the East Coast.
Says she: "blurry, but weirdly awesome, right?"

Right.

4 comments:

Springer Kneeblood said...

I'm not much of a dessert-eater, either. I don't even know what monkey bread is, though, so maybe it really is weirdly awesome. I'll take your word for it...still have to watch my weight, anyway!

Zip n Tizzy said...

I wish I thought most dessert was, "Eh."
I think that's weirdly awesome.
(And I love the pics.)

loves her monkey bread in PA said...

didn't know what Monkey Bread is?! Really?! THAT'S weirdly awesome :)

unmitigated me said...

Your post is the first time I've ever heard of Monkey Bread, too. Got a recipe?