Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cats and dogs

It actually is raining right now, but not cats and dogs.

And this post is not about the weather.

No, it's about a cat and a dog, and a mouse and a baby. Sounds like an early reader doesn't it?

But it's a bit more graphic than that.

Honestly, I can't believe I'm writing yet another post about dogs. I'm not a dog person, remember? But be that as it may, I notice that two out of the three posts listed under "Featured Beth," over there on the right of your screen, are about dogs. Maybe I am a closet dog lover, or maybe I'm one of those evil people who just loves to hate dogs...

But let's get on with the story, shall we?

Last night my husband said sternly, "Uh, Beth, can I see you for a minute?"

Uh oh. He almost never calls me by my first name, and rarely sounds so serious. But I ventured forth nonetheless, with a bright and expectant look on my face. What could this be about, I wondered??

He led me to the backyard and said something to the effect of, "Just look what your cat has done!" with clear disgust in his voice.

Oh, a present! That's she was not quite done with. Yes, a poor mouse had met it's maker while in the claws of Miss Lily.


Poor thing, but really, isn't that one of the beautiful things about having cats as pets? They get rid of the vermin. Who wants rats and mice hanging out in their yards and homes? (Other than my middle child whose new pet is none other than BuBu the rat.)

Even my husband has to agree that our orange tree is looking better than it has in years, now that the tree rats who used to eat all the fruit have been decimated by none other than Miss Lily.

I reminded my husband of this truth, and also boasted about the fact that dear Miss Lily could likely fend for herself out in the world. She is a huntress who can earn her keep.

The dog on the other hand? The dog? Well let me tell you about what he was eating earlier this week. (Put down your lunch if you happen to be eating.)

The dog likes to do things the easy way. In fact, he likes his food already digested.

Yes, said husband has a habit of throwing little miss C's dirty diapers out the window (which could be a blog post of its own, don't you think?). He then takes them to the big outside trashcan the next time he's out in the yard.

But a few days ago, Sonny the dog got to the diaper before T did, and he just helped himself. Just dug right in. Yep.

I know! Dogs are gross.


And, please, please would you wipe that shit-eating grin off of your face?!

8 comments:

cat lover in PA said...

this blog was so worth waiting until 2:45 EST to get :)
(yes, I'm working in my husband's office and haven't had much to do other than wat for a MY&E post)

I SO agree with all that you've said, although my dog has to find cat puke and shit to eat instead of diaper shit.

I would also like to add that whatever you are calling a "mouse", is very clearly a "rat"..so NO sympathy here for the way things played out.

I'm sending my 9 yr old to live with you. She wants a mouse or rat as a pet and I stand by my house rule #467, which reads
"NO RODENTS FOR PETS...EVER"

Bored in PA said...

that should say "wait".
See, I even have time on my hands to edit and correct my comments.

Pickles and Dimes said...

HAHAHAHHA. Gross on both counts! :)

Both Sunny (the cat) and Shorty (the dog) will clean up after themselves when they puke, which isn't often. Abby, however, does not clean up after herself when she pukes, which is all the time and in inconvenient places (the bed) at inconvenient times (bedtime).

Every single time we forget to check the litterbox before Shorty goes downstairs, he eats cat poop. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. Ick.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh. My. God. That rat's ass is disgusting.

The diapers don't phase me, that's how our old dog (rest her weary soul) came to be know as "The Crap Hound."

Very gross post, Beth. Are you trying keep our spending light at dinner tonight? Nice try, but I'm planning to eat my weight in nigiri!!

xo

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

When Beth was a baby she ate dog food out of the dog's dish which proves, once again, the old adage:
"What comes around, goes around."
Pat

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh. My. God.

First of all. Bubu the rat pet? Really? Gross.

Second of all. Sonny? You're as bad as Bubu. Nasty.

Third of all. Porgie? May she rest in peace in Dog Heaven? Ewwwww.

Last of all, dogs are gross. And so are cats.

And poo poo is stinky.

Ellie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

(p.s. great post, Beth.)

Logical Libby said...

All animals are gross -- and annoying. My cat brought a LIVE bird into the house the other day. Oh, and brings in grasshoppers with no eyes. At least she doesn't poop as much as the dog...