Friday, January 22, 2010

Oh say can you see?

It turns out my husband really can’t. At least not enough to read most print these days.

It’s normal, he’s 44, but it’s still humbling.

My turn is coming, I know it is. I already notice myself squinting, and leaning toward the computer monitor sometimes. More and more of the time, really.

But I’m not going to lie. I’m glad my T went first.

He’s needed reading glasses for a while now, but it’s just recently become so bad that he’s had to succumb and actually buy a pair.

He was not, however, yet willing to visit our local CVS and buy a $15 pair. No.

He was also not willing to get the half glasses, or even the full glasses with the obvious line down the middle. No. He wanted the latest version, the ones where you can’t tell they're actually, gasp, bifocals.

He did oh-so-careful web research, and has been quietly noticing the specs on his friends and acquaintances. He discussed the face jewelry issue with his hair guy, had a long discussion about them with our mailman, and even endured relentless ribbing from his younger brothers to get their take on it.

He even got my and the girls’ opinions about which pair he should purchase.

He went back and forth, and hemmed and hawed. But he finally made a decision.

He ordered them, and has been waiting patiently for them to arrive.

Yesterday I received this email:

I JUST GOT MY GLASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M AFRAID TO OPEN THEM....

But he should not have worried. They look great, and he can SEE. (I was a little frightened to think that yesterday was the first time since our wedding that he could actually see me, or at least the finer details, like crows feet, but it seemed to go okay.)

Sonny likes them too.

5 comments:

martyjoco said...

Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."

-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

That's what I call a credo! Glasses are a wonderful invention. Congrats to T on being able to see, and stylishly, too!

p.s. my verification word is "loryow" - I think that's what you say when you get hit by a truck in England.

Debbie said...

That was a very hard day for me, when I couldn't read anymore. I hated it! Still do, actually.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Tell T that the glasses look great on him, but his facial hair is getting a little excessive.

Jacquie

gray skies in PA said...

Has he thought about shaving??
Looking forward to seeing them on him in person...once it stops raining :)

work is decketop: next best thing to decadent

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Mistah Schleckah is absolutely blind as a bat in the belfry without them. I means he's been wearing contacts since he was a teenager (as have I) but he started not being able to READ a couple of years ago and now he cannot go without. He needs them to eat.

He *does* get the CVS kind, though, thankfully. He has to have lots of pairs, because he can never find them.

I'm next, I know. Fine print in poor light is getting ta-ricky...... But to eat? I don't think so. How hard can it be??

Now where's that "enter" key??

Ellie