Monday, November 16, 2009

12 Seconds

Twelve seconds ago it was summer.

Everything was lush and verdant and in bloom.

The tomatoes were ripe.

Yum.

And the flowers were busting out . . .

See?

Our morning glory was fabulous.

And the basil?

Killer.

And then, just like that, 12 seconds later, it was over.

And all that dirt from all those pots got thrown into the compost heap like yesterday's news.

That basil pot -- Bill's birthday present from Jennie -- was tenacious. It was not ready to let go.

And now the steps are empty.

And the tomato cages are stacked up.

Twelve seconds later, it's all over.

Maybe winter will go by in 12 seconds, too.

10 comments:

Springer Kneeblood said...

Y'all should come down to see us. We still have about 2 seconds of summer left, folowed by half a second of fall. And then 4 seconds of winter, and then 24 more seconds of summer, punctuated by 1 second false-Spring interruptions.

had summer pesto for dinner last night said...

Somehow I doubt winter will be so accommodating :)
It's nice to see that the blight didn't get to your tomatoes.
I hope you froze some pesto with all that wonderful basil from the 12 second summer!

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh we did, we did. Freeze pesto. And tomatoes.

Ellie

Hannah said...

"Maybe winter will go by in 12 seconds, too."

One can dream right? That morning glory is beautiful btw. (Or should I say "was")

Captain Dumbass said...

I know what you mean. It's been raining for three straight days and my back yard has turned into a porridge of rotting leaves.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Is the Schlekah wearing a nametag?

Pesto and tomatoes sounds so delicious. My boy is a huge pesto fan these days, I wish we could raid your freezer.

Hope the winter is no more than 20 or so seconds, at least in retrospect.

Jacquie

Imperatrix said...

I don't know -- the squirrels are looking pretty sleek and fat around these parts. I have a feeling Winter is gonna hang around for a while, and make himself comfortable.

mom said...

How about this gorgeous weather yesterday and today - enjoy it while we can..... mom

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Fat squirrels? Uh oh, better get in the Westy (aka, Westie) and head south, or west, or southwest...

Beth

Lola said...

Oh, the sadness! Was it even 12 seconds this year? The tomato photos, the basil photos brought a tear to my eye.

If winter in New Engalnd seems like 12 seconds, then I'll have drunk one too many bottles of wine or hit my head really hard slipping on the ice that will be all over my yard soon ;(