Friday, August 14, 2009

Why yes! We *did* go to the Poconos!

Our family went to the Poconos last week. Oh, wait. Have we mentioned that?

Hey, it's not every day our parents celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary.
.
Anyway. There were highlights. Oh so very many highlights. I'm taking it upon myself today to highlight a few. Highlights, by definition, love to be highlighted.

Toes? Oh, there were toes.

Lovely co-blogger toes.

There was the Original Eight.

And there was the Most Recent Eight.

There was a photo session. Not everyone was grumpy . . .

. . . not with yum drinks in hand.

There was hugging . . .

. . . oh there was some hugging . . .

. . . a little bit of hugging . . .

. . . okay, incessant hugging . . .

There was the absconding of coffee . . .

And there was, sigh, the Happy Hut of Love.
.
[Unlike my friend Johnny Slips, who, in Saratoga last weekend, stayed in the Hateful Hovel of Inhumanity. Poor bastid.]
.
There were late night parties at the Happy Hut of Love . . .

. . . and great shoes showed up.

There was a photo slideshow of ourselves in the Panamamamamama Room.

There was dancing . . .

. . . and there was, of course, singing . . .

There were 21-person meals. With lots of bacon.

There was a trip to town . . .

. . . and there was beer . . .

. . . oh, was there ever beer.

There was a terrible flea market . . .

. . . and there was waitstaff who would not stop stalking us leave us alone . . .

. . . they were fun, though . . .
.
. . . and their moms in Taiwan are going to love us.
.
There was softball and pooltime and archery and a ventriloquist and there were hikes.

Oh, there were hikes you don't even know about yet.

Believe me when I tell you you have NOT heard the last of these hikes yet . . .
.
There were Happy Hours in Mom and Dad's sa-weeeet suite . . .

. . . where they entertained us with old home films . . .

. . . while the four littlest mocked the boys playing hoops . . .

. . . honestly, they were certifiable hecklers.

There was late-night swimming under the full moon . . .

. . . oh, that full moon . . .

There were paddle boats . . .

. . . which are really just giant beer-carriers.

There were photos . . .

. . . a couple of photos . . .

. . . okay, several thousand photos . . .

. . . including some absurdly late-night photos . . .

Late night? Oh, there was some of that . . .

. . . a little bit of that . . .

. . . oh, a whole lot of that . . .

. . . we may even have closed down the bar a couple of nights every night.

And why not?
.
It was The Poconos. And they'll never be the same.

10 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

The Poconos must miss us so much!

Great highlights, El. I can't believe it was last week.

I miss being outside. I miss my liver.

Happy Friday!

Jacquie

Anonymous said...

What? You went to the Poconos? Ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

I'm still jealous.

Dawnie

lives so close and has yet to stop said...

I'm hoping the Poconos give you some kind of discount next time for doing an AWESOME job of selling the place.
I only drive through the place to get to NYC from State College and now I'm tempted to stop and visit!
good job :)

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I so love the giant beer holders! I would perhaps travel to the Poconos just to paddle around in one of those :-)

And I am now convinced that Julie was there..

Beth

unmitigated me said...

THAT'S what a vacation is supposed to be like! And that is a seriously gorgeous family. With excellent shoes.

Imperatrix said...

I've been following your adventures in the Poconos, and MAN! you people know how to party -- and such a lovely original eight, all so beautiful.

Springer Kneeblood said...

My God. I worship the whole famn damily! What a blast! I am still available for adoption.

Kathi D said...

this gives me a warm huggy feeling.

Lola said...

But were there any champagne glass jacuzzis?