Thursday, April 16, 2009

Industry

Everywhere I look I see people being industrious.

On Monday morning, right outside The Dowd's house, these guys showed up with their dumptruck, flatbed trailer and Caterpillar, and replaced a leaky fire hydrant.

And I still say the hydrant was not leaking because Dad bumped into it with his car last year.

On Wednesday morning, back at our house, these guys showed up and chain-sawed our neighbors’ tree stump, and hauled away the giant logs.

I miss that tree. And I miss Layla.

Across the Thames River, at Electric Boat, they're still building submarines to, um, save the world.

Bill got a shot of this guy getting worked on last week. Quite a fierce looking fellow.

Also hard at work are Mr. Submarine's neighbors, the very epitome of industry . . .

. . . the Cranes. Those hard-working cranes, whose beeps woke me up just this very morning. “The Sound of Progress” my friend Paul calls that 7 a.m. beeping.

But nobody was more industrious this week than Dr. P., neurosurgeon extraordinaire at Yale/New Haven Hospital. On Monday afternoon he operated on our sister Ann’s brain, and removed 3 pesky tumors.

One tumor especially gave the surgical team fits, the way it was wrapped around Ann’s optic nerve.

Rotten stinking tumor.

The surgery was a huge success, though, and Ann is doing great – she’s off and running, as it were, on the long-but-navigable road to recovery.

As well she should be. I mean, after all, it’s not like it's brain surg— oh, wait. Right. Nevermind.

Way to go, Ann!

14 comments:

Eric Hegwer said...

Best of luck to your family!

the Other Meg said...

Hi El,

I send all my best wishes to Ann and all of you. My Dad had brain surgery for a subdural hematoma in November and he's doing great, too, but what a scary, scary time. We now have two family members (of 4!) with traumatic brain injury. I'm so glad the surgery went well for Ann. Keep the faith! We'll raise a glass for all of you.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Some people just don't know how to relax! I know Ann is doing great, I talked to her yesterday (and begged her to allow photos of her gruesome incision), but how's the fire hydrant?! Ellie, you and dad no longer have the most impressive surgical scars in our family!

Jacquie

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I know. It's so unfair.

Ellie

Anonymous said...

All the best to Ann as well as the entire family who must be worried for her.

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Ann's successful surgery must be a big relief for all of you!

Modern medicine sure is amazing, isn't it? Hail to those who choose to make it their industryBeth

Tami said...

So glad Ann is doing well; we've been thinking of her.

Ann now joins that illustrious group of brain surgery heroes: Rich Callahan and Bill Cronin and Dennis Byrne. As the female member, I know she will close the group for good! I'm raising a glass (or two) as well.

Kat said...

I am so glad that your sister came out of the surgery well. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Home In NL said...

Hi Ellie! I think that this is absolutely awesome. I am so glad to have you as one of my closest kindred friends:) Although I don't know Ann or any of your other sisters (I don't think?) I wish you all the best and hope meet them soon. Big huggs

Tracey

Anonymous said...

Man, I didn't see that one coming. Dump trucks, cranes, submarines and brain tumours. All the best to your sister and your family.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I like that. "Dump trucks, cranes, submarines and brain tumors." (Sorry, had to go with the American spelling). That would have made a good blog post title........

Ellie

Captain Dumbass said...

Glad to hear Ann's doing well.

Springer Kneeblood said...

Oooph! I'm glad to hear that Ann's doing well. I don't like tumors, especially brain tumors and other such beasts that conspire to cause trouble and grief. Give that surgeon a pat on the back and a glass of stout! But not just before surgery.

Lola said...

Go Ann!!!!